Occupy Providence

Latest Articles

The Occupy Victory

Occupy Providence can claim a big win with the opening of a day shelter for the homeless.The group's General Assembly had demanded a day center...
By David Scharfenberg  |  January 24, 2012

And We're Back...

Not for Nothing is back after a New Year's hiatus. Happy 2012, people. A few political/media notes and Occupy ruminations as we get back into...
By David Scharfenberg  |  January 03, 2012

What's next for Occupy Providence?

It was only a week ago that members of Occupy Providence huddled in a pedestrian tunnel on a rainy afternoon and voted 36 to 11 to leave Burnside Park, if and when the city opens a daytime shelter for the homeless.
After the park, a search for phase II
By DAVID SCHARFENBERG  |  December 30, 2011

The Occupy Talks

Providence city officials and some homeless advocates are voicing skepticism about the wisdom of opening a daytime homeless shelter, casting doubt on whether the Taveras...
By David Scharfenberg  |  December 28, 2011

From Protest to Politics?

As Occupy Providence heads toward a transition - out of Burnside Park and onto the street - one of the most critical questions it faces...
By David Scharfenberg  |  December 27, 2011

Occupy's Discontent

Some of Occupy Providence's core members are upset with how the group's General Assembly vote yesterday to leave Burnside Park - in exchange for a...
By David Scharfenberg  |  December 22, 2011

Occupy Providence Votes to Leave Park

Huddled in a tunnel not far from Burnside Park, which they've held since October 15, members of Occupy Providence voted 36-11 tonight to leave the...
By David Scharfenberg  |  December 21, 2011

The Ocean State Review makes its debut

Nick-a-Nee's bar was the venue for the recent launch of The Ocean State Review , the University of Rhode Island's new literary journal.
By TIM LEHNERT  |  November 04, 2011

Slow Jam the Occupy

Jimmy Fallon and Brian Williams slow jam the news (sorry for the ad at the beginning, it's worth the wait):
By David Scharfenberg  |  October 28, 2011

With Occu-Stock, a movement seeks direction

Occupy Providence has only just begun to sink its roots into the dusty turf of Burnside Park. But already, there is talk of what comes next.
By DAVID SCHARFENBERG  |  October 28, 2011

In the Occupation Zone

"We, the people of Occupy Providence, would like to express our gratitude and appreciation for the continued respect shown to our just and legal gathering."
A true grassroots effort; making moves at ’JAR; talkin’ baseball
By PHILLIPE AND JORGE  |  October 28, 2011

Elizabeth Warren's Occupy Problem

Consumer crusader and Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren has run into trouble for claiming she laid the "intellectual foundation" for the Occupy Wall Street movement.Occupiers...
By David Scharfenberg  |  October 27, 2011


The Occupy Providence folk are planning Occu-Stock, a "masquerade music festival," Friday-Sunday in India Point Park. There will be plenty of music - Brown electronica...
By David Scharfenberg  |  October 25, 2011

Occupy Providence on the march

It's 11:30 am on Day 3 of Occupy Providence and a small group of activists has gathered at the foot of a statue in Burnside Park to plot a march on Bank of America's Kennedy Plaza branch.
By DAVID SCHARFENBERG  |  October 21, 2011

Occupy Everywhere

P&J must say that the Occupy Wall Street folks (whose enterprise is now spreading like wildfire) pretty much have "the big idea" covered: 1 percent have an incredibly large slice of the money and the other 99 percent of us suffer. Why is this?
Altering the American way; fuming in North Providence; the sporting life
By  |  October 14, 2011