bestnom1000x50

10 18 2008

Latest Articles

081017_rare_list

Unsettling business

Kevin Frenette’s playing is warm yet cerebral, and his music lies in the middleground between avant jazz and free improvisation.  
Kevin Frenette and Ricardo Donoso sound off
By SUSANNA BOLLE  |  October 16, 2008
081017_marath_list

It takes a pillage

When I finally get Amon Amarth vocalist Johan Hegg on the phone, I feel as if I’d woken a giant.  
Amon Amarth lead the Viking death-metal pack
By DANIEL BROCKMAN  |  October 15, 2008
BOSTON EARLY MUSIC FESTIVAL

BOSTON EARLY MUSIC FESTIVAL

The Boston Early Music Festival starts its 2008–2009 season with a bang: hot hot South Afric...
By Shaula Clark  |  October 14, 2008
CCTV BENEFIT SHOW

CCTV BENEFIT SHOW

Thanks to the good folks at Cambridge Community Television, we’ve had 20 years of Derby Dame...
ASOBI SEKSU

ASOBI SEKSU

If music that makes your heart swell were considered a drug, you know that ruthless dudes in...
RA RA RIOT

RA RA RIOT

Given that Ra Ra Riot’s original drummer drowned in the riptides off the coast of Fairhaven, “Dyin...

THE COMMUNIST DRACULA PAGEANT

THE COMMUNIST DRACULA PAGEANT

At the height of their power, fun Romanian dictator couple Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu liked...
THEATER OFFENSIVE’S OUT ON THE EDGE FESTIVAL

THEATER OFFENSIVE’S OUT ON THE EDGE FESTIVAL

Everything’s better in drag — which is why the Theater Offensive’s “Out on the Edge” festiva...
HEAD OF THE CHARLES REGATTA

HEAD OF THE CHARLES REGATTA

Competition at the annual Head of the Charles Regatta isn’t confined to the boats in the riv...
“CELTIC TAP” WITH JAMES DEVINE

“CELTIC TAP” WITH JAMES DEVINE

Try to imagine it: 38 taps per second. That’s the official Guinness world record of James Devine, wh...
081010_lombard_list

Brief fling

Carole Lombard rose to stardom in 1934 and was dead by 1942, killed in a plane crash on her way back from selling war bonds; her last picture, Ernst Lubitsch’s To Be or Not To Be , was released posthumously.  
Carole Lombard’s nine years of stardom
By STEVE VINEBERG  |  October 08, 2008